Getting to the CMS
The Centre of Mathematical Sciences (CMS) is accessible either from Wilberforce Road, or from the pedestrian path between Madingley Road and Clarkson Road, as shown in this map. The main entrance is via this pedestrian path, which is next to the Isaac Newton Institute car-park on Clarkson Road, and then through the gatehouse.
The CMS site consists of a number of buildings – go to the central building with the low, curved roof and the glass front (directly in front of you as you come through the gatehouse) which is where the Reception desk is located. There are signs showing the route to the main entrance around the site and from the CMS car park. The telephone number for CMS Reception, staffed during normal office hours and in University term time on Saturday mornings, is 01223 765000.
A University of Cambridge Map is also available.
Arriving by Bus
- The bus station is 1½ miles from the Centre for Mathematical Sciences (CMS).
- The CMS is easily accessible from the Uni 4 and Citi 4 bus routes (nearest stops are 'Storey's Way', which stops near the pedestrian path from Madingley Road marked on the CMS site plan above, or 'Wilberforce Road'). A Cambridge Citi bus network map is available here, and you can check here where to catch your Citi bus in Cambridge city centre. There is current information on Cambridge bus timetables and routes at https://www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables.
- The X5 service runs between Oxford and Cambridge. It is a limited stop service with stops very close to CMS. If coming from the Oxford direction, take the first stop after Madingley Road Park and Ride.
- The Whippet bus Service 1 departs from the city centre and from the train station and stops on all the Madingley Road stops close to CMS. This has a quicker route to Madingley Road than the X4 or C4.
Arriving by Train
- The railway station is about about 2½ miles from the CMS. You can find train timetables on the National Rail website.
- There is a taxi rank at Cambridge station. There are two roads around the Centre for Mathematical Sciences. Clarkson Road averages about 50p cheaper than Wilberforce Road. Sometimes the taxi drivers give you the choice. The fare is usually in the region of £8.00 to £9.00 during the day.
- The Whippet bus Service 1 departs near the station and stops in Madingley Road. Alternatively, catch one of the many buses from the railway station to the city centre and then transfer onto the C4 route.
Arriving by Car
- The CMS is close to the M11 motorway (exit at Junction 13 travelling North).
- The Madingley Road Park and Ride is just one mile from the Centre for Mathematical Sciences.
- Parking is very limited near the Faculty (and in the centre of Cambridge too), so if you are coming by car you may consider using the Park and Ride facility on Madingley Road, which is about 20 minutes walk from the CMS (see walkit.com for route and estimated timings), or just over 10 minutes by bus (shuttle bus service Uni 4/Citi 4 from the Park and Ride to the ‘Madingley Road’ stop on Grange Road - check the timetable).
Further Travel Information
Note that it is extremely unlikely that accommodation will be available in Colleges (since the Open Day is in the middle of term). Visitor information, including information about accommodation, is available from Visit Cambridge.