skip to content

Degree Committee and Graduate Education


This fund supports research students with essential extra costs associated with a major piece of work carried out whilst away from Cambridge and which is an integral part of their research. Please see the application form for full details on eligible activity. This is a School of Physical Sciences Fund, administered by the Degree Committee but disbursed via your department’s finance office.

How to apply:

  • Apply for Leave to Work Away from Cambridge well in advance of travel;
  • When you have received the Student Registry's confirmation that Leave to Work Away has been granted, download the Leave to Work Away Research Fund application form;
  • Read the information on the Form about the uses and restrictions of the Fund;
  • Check your eligibility;
  • Check the Terms & Conditions;
  • Complete the Form in consultation with your supervisor;
  • Ask your Supervisor to sign the form and declaration;
  • Attach the email from the Student Registry confirming your Leave to Work Away;
  • Submit the form to the Mathematics Degree Committee, c/o the Faculty Postgraduate Office at least 1 month before your departure.

Consideration of your application:

  • You will be notified by e-mail of the outcome of your application
  • If your application is successful you will be able to collect your funding in the form of an advance from your departmental finance office. Please ask them what financial records and/or receipts they will require from you to confirm how the funds were spent.

On your return (or if you could not travel):

If you have not used the whole of your grant, please see your departmental finance office to arrange for part or the entire grant to be returned so that other students can benefit from it.