skip to content

Alumni and Friends



The Part III of the Mathematical Tripos in Cambridge now results in a degree title (replacing the Certificate of Advanced Study). Since 2011, students who pass Part III receive a Master of Advanced Studies (MASt) degree if they take Part III as a one-year stand-alone course, or both a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree and a Master of Mathematics (MMath) degree if they successfully complete four years undergraduate study (including Part III).

When the University makes such a change, it will often grant retrospective degrees to those who have taken the same course prior to the change. Part III is no different, hence

  • you are entitled to the MASt if you passed Part III Mathematics as a one-year stand-alone course (at some point since this became possible in 1962);
  • you are entitled to the MMath if you passed Part III Mathematics in 1962 or later and you kept 12 terms of residence; your subject prior to (or after) Part III need not necessarily have been Mathematics.

Unfortunately if you completed Part III either before 1962 or as part of only three years of undergraduate study at Cambridge (e.g. you took the accelerated Mathematical Tripos consisting of Parts IB, II and III), then you are not eligible for the award. Those who passed Part III in 2011 or later have been awarded the relevant degree title and need not take any action.


The arrangements for the award of these retrospective degrees are a matter for your College and you should contact the relevant authority (usually the Praelector) in your College to make arrangements. The College should be the one where you matriculated to enter for Part III. A list of College contact details can be found on the University website.

If you are eligible for the new degrees you may of course decide not to take it at present (but you can change your mind later). You may also elect to take it in absentia (and thus receive the certificate through the post). If you decide to take it in person, your College will send you a list of dates at which it presents students for degrees. A list of congregations is available online, but you should be aware that Colleges do not present students for degrees at all Congregations.